ἡ γῆ μέλαινα πίνει,
πίνει δένδρεα δ’ αὖ γῆν.
πίνει θάλασσα ἀναύρους.
ὁ δ’ ἥλιος θάλασσαν,
τὸν δ’ ἥλιον σελήνη. (5)
τί μοι μάχεσθ’, ἑταῖροι,
καὐτῳ θέλοντι πίνειν;
1. γῆ γῆς ἡ earth, land. μέλας μέλαινα μέλαν dark, black. πίνω drink.
2. δένδρε’ = δένδρεα from δένδρος τό tree. αὖ again, anew, once more;. here, with δέ, has the sense of in turn, further, on the other hand.
3. θάλασσα ης ἡ sea. ἄναυρος ὁ river, stream.
4. ἥλιος ὁ sun. The verb is assumed from the previous line for this and line 5.
5. σελήνη ἡ moon. The sense seems to be that the moon drinks the light of the sun.
6. μοι (to) me dative; object of μάχεσθε. μάχομαι fight; with the dative with/against someone. ἑταῖρος ὁ comrade, companion.
7. καὐτῷ = καὶ αὐτῷ, agreeing with μοι in the previous line. θέλω = ἐθέλω want, wish. Here θέλοντι , the present participle, is taken with both μοι and αὐτῷ.