λέγουσιν αἱ γυναῖκες,
"Ἀνακρέων, γέρων εἶ·
λαβὼν ἔσοπτρον ἄθρει
κόμας μὲν οὐκέτ’ οὔσας,
ψιλὸν δέ σευ μέτωπον." (5)
ἐγὼ δὲ τὰς κόμας μέν,
εἴτ’ εἰσίν, εἴτ’ ἀπῆλθον,
οὐκ οἶδα· τοῦτο δ’ οἶδα,
ὡς τῷ γέροντι μᾶλλον
πρέπει τὸ τερπνὰ παίζειν (10)
ὅσῳ πέλας τὰ Μοίρης.
2. γέρων γέροντος ὁ old man. εἶ 2.sg. present of εἰμί to be.
3. λαμβάνω aor.part. take. ἔσοπτρον τό mirror. ἀθρέω 2.imp. look at, observe, perceive; consider.
4. κόμη ἡ hair. οὐκέτι no longer, no more; no further. οὔσας acc. fem. pl. present participle of εἰμί, agreeing with κόμας, "hair that is no longer (there)"
5. ψιλός ή όν bare; bald, smooth. σευ = Attic σου, "of you." μέτωπον τό brow, forehead.
6. εἴτε either... or, whether... or. ἀπ‐έρχομαι go away, depart; return.
9. ὡς that; because. μᾶλλον more, rather; preferably. The dative τῷ γέροντι goes with πρέπει in the next line.
10. πρέπω be conspicuous, be seen, appear; resemble; πρέπει + dat. it suits, it is fitting for. τερπνός ή όν delightful, agreeable, pleasant; τὰ τερπνά delights, pleasures. παίζω to play (with), to sport; to joke. The article goes with the infinitive phrase, "to play with delights" is a literal phrasing.
11. ὅσος η ον as great as, how great, as much as; as many as; ὅσῳ by how much. πέλας adv. near, close by; with gen. or dat.; Take ὅσῳ πέλας as "by how near." μοῖρα ης ἡ part, portion, division; lot, destiny, fate, doom; τὰ Μοίρης "the things of Fate," that is, "death." The last few lines are a little difficult. If we assume τοσούτῳ (or similar) in line 10, "as/so much", we get the sense "as death gets closer, so it suits an old man more to play (pursue) pleasures."